Tuesday, February 24, 2009

History, Challenges, and Preparation

Hello, all! It's been some time since I've been able to post, but I've got some time tonight, so I thought I would update.

My discussions in history class have been very fruitful. I have a few classmates who have been surprisingly courageous in backing me up once I've started dialogue. I doubt I am changing our professor's mind, but I do believe I'm helping others like myself not be dissuaded. I have my first test in that class this Friday; wish me luck, we'll see how it goes.

I've found that college is a very indulgent environment, a microcosm largely unaffected by reality. At least half of the students I interact with on a daily basis smoke cigarettes, and another large percentage are involved in illegal drugs or underage drinking. Comments about the way I dress, flippant curse words, and frank talk about immorality are regularly filtered through my ears. I'm very, very grateful I do not live on campus, and can retreat to my home to think things through.

I know that trials are only sanctification tools in the hands of the Lord, and in that I can trust. As a Catholic, I am entering the season of Lent tomorrow. I will be getting up early to participate in a universal ceremony to mark the beginning of the season and remind us of our mortality. As a child, I loved the season of Lent more than any other. That still holds true now. Weeks of solemn chant, reflection, and fasting await me. It could not come at a better time, and I know my dedication to my obligations will keep me grounded in the whirlwind at college.

I wish you all a wonderful night and hope to update again soon.

3 comments:

LizzieD said...

Well done for standing up for truth! You're a great example for others. Hope your exam goes well today, and that you don't get marked down for having an "alternative" view to the current 'politically correct' thinking...
Have a Blessed Lent - it truly is a wonderful season ...
God Bless.

melissa said...

Hi! We haven't heard from you in a while. Hope everything is ok!

Everly Pleasant said...

I miss your blogging, Dear!
Do come back to us...
Everly Pleasant