Sunday, August 15, 2010

Home-Grown Beauty

(No, I'm not talking about the kind we Southern gals naturally have!)

I know this was not my intended next post, but it's been on my mind lately. As a society, women, and, increasingly, men have been convinced that we all simply must run out and spend ourselves into debt over new and "breakthrough" cosmetics. My sister-in-law, who has been staying with us for the week, laments over how much her Proactiv makeup and skincare costs, but feels its her only option for her acne-prone skin.

This is simply not true, like most of the things society tries to convince us of using the TV. A dear friend of my family currently has a rapidly expanding small business creating homemade body scrubs, and her recipes are some of the most simple, honest, and natural I've seen.

I don't know about you, but I feel pampered when I use something simple and natural. And I feel a little victorious when I use something that was at least partially created using something I produced myself. So...Starting this week, and ending when I run out of recipes, each Monday I shall be posting a recipe for a homemade product, for men, women or both, that you can make using at least one ingredient you can produce yourself!

Tomorrow? An infamous queen's teenage beauty secret!

1 comment:

Everly Pleasant said...

I, for one, am excited. :)

Everly