Monday, February 11, 2008

Our Wonderful Neighbors

Friday I had the adventurous misfortune to be locked out of the house by gravity and the metal bar that locks the sliding glass door from my bedroom. I was hanging a wind chime when the bar fell down, locking the door snugly in place. All the other doors in the house were shut tight.

After some unsuccessful paperclip locksmithing, I shuffled next door in my nightgown and flats to borrow our neighbor's phone. The next thing I knew I was seated in their kitchen with a robe around my shoulders with a bowl of cereal. They treated me like one of the family, and didn't even mind that I had to stay for about two hours before my mother could come home and unlock the door.

The mother is a sweet lady who is undergoing her last chemotherapy treatments, so please, if you happen to remember, say a little prayer for her. She has five children, two in college, the others in high school, so she has her hands full! I also met her mother, who was down from Chicago, and their sweet Keeshond, who loves to be spoiled.

Today I brought over some home baked cookies and dog treats as a thank you...and while I don't hope I'll be locked out again, I hope our paths continue to cross!

No comments: