Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Difficult.

Oh, this is hard. This is so, so, hard.

Sitting in my iTunes right now are 171 songs by a single artist, which is technically a band, but not. The music of this artist has pretty much come to represent an entire chapter in my life, and I can pinpoint exact moods with certain songs. I know all the lyrics by heart. I had the obligatory lead-singer crush. I scrimped and saved for concert tickets. Needless to say, I'm very attached to this music.

With the exception of the 45-ish instrumentals, most of the songs have less-than-savory lyrics. They're either blatantly inappropriate, full of awful words, just downright contagiously angry, or even anti-God in some cases.

But, man...they're just...clever. And catchy. And brilliantly executed.

And because they mean so much to me, they're indescribably difficult to get rid of. Even though all they do is cause awful thoughts and bring back awful memories.

I know they need to go. I know I should chuck the lot of them and never think twice about it. But I'm just not that strong.

It's so hard.

4 comments:

LizzieD said...

Little by little, Lydia! Pace yourself, and you'll do ok. (Unless of course you really believe the Holy Ghost is inspiring you to chuck it all out at once, and then, if you do, you'll be fine after - it will leave a Jesus-sized space that He will be able to fill!).

Amen to your last post too!

Everly Pleasant said...

Ohhhhh yes.
I know that feeling. It happens to me with movies more than music but it has definately happened with that too. Okay, and books and clothes and basically everything. I know it is hard! But obviously, whatever this band is, it isn't okay because The Holy Spirit doesn't make stupid convictions.
I'll say a prayer for you!
Everly

Leigh said...

I am sorry it is so hard, but you can do it. Satan really uses music to influence us and our moods. So, if you feel really led to get rid of that music I would go with that!

I am praying for you! Isn't it amazing how much God has been changing your thinking about this kind of thing? You seem like you are growing in so many amazing ways!

Leigh

Rachel said...

Lydia,

I am almost 42. When I was in my early twenties I got the notion in my head from some Fundamentalist friends that if the music I wasn't listening to wasn't Christian then it wasn't worth having. I put my entire record collection out for the trash man. This was something I have regretted ever since. Especially since LPs are essentially gone. They were pieces of my past I would love to have shared with my kids, who have grown up in this digital age.

The music, most of which was just groups like The Police, The Smiths, New Order, Duran Duran, The Cure, really were just fine.

I was moved by the Christian subculture to ditch my music...not God. My favorite band right now is MUSE. They are from England and the lead singer purports to be an Atheist. However, when pressed in interviews, he says he doesn't know, and it's like his music is asking questions that he wants to have answered. Many of MUSE's songs are really spiritual. I am actually using one for a Catholic retreat I am leading next weekend, at my parish. The song is called Bliss. You can youtube it. The words are great and they make me think about how I feel about Christ.

Make sure this is something God is calling you to do, and not some sense of "a good Christian wouldn't listen to...." type thing.

With prayer, you will know the answer.

Just my .02,
Rachel