Monday, December 1, 2008

Weighed and Measured

As I sit here at the computer, happily ensconced with my inordinately large bowl of Rice Krispies (the kind with the strawberries), I reflect back on the events of the day with mixed emotion.

The deeper I dig, the more I find the foundations of my whole conflicted sense of college in two incidents that occurred today.

When I met with my advisor, I found out I would have to take remedial algebra classes with a partner college that is on the complete opposite side of town from me. As if that weren't enough, she kept referring to my "academic deficiencies," namely my "algebra deficiency" and the resulting "physical science deficiency."

Deficiency! Right. Just because I scored a certain amount on a placement test that was sprung on me without any prior knowledge this morning in a fog of DayQuil, I am somehow "Academically Deficient" in comparison to the mythic "Ideal Student" that they all want adorning their class lists. To feel like you tried your very hardest under the circumstances given to you and to be stamped with a label like that is extremely cutting.

If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you insult us, will we not huff off and blog about it?

But, no matter! :)

I had the privelege of spending most of my free time this morning talking to a guy slightly older than me named Jessie. He's a member of the National Guard and has a pet hedgehog, and has apparently been living out of his Jeep for about a month and showering at a friend's house because of a conflict between his parents, which has left him without a place to go. He never did find out my name, but he said it didn't matter, as I was already nicknamed in his mind.

Mother.

That's what he called me, and that's how I signed the note I left on the windshield of his Jeep. (Which I could locate by the fatigues hanging in back, and the hedgehog curled up on a heating pad in the passenger seat.) His explaination?

I had a natural "knack" for mothering. I just "give off that impression."

Academically deficient? Pft! Who cares? I'm a natural mother!

2 comments:

Everly Pleasant said...

Mother,
I'm so sorry about your bad morning! I would be "huffing off and blogging about it" if I were in your situation too!
It is very unjust to be compared to other people. Compared to one student you're an idiot, compared to another you're a genius. But really, this is all based on grades, which has nothing to do with your intelligence at all (especially when you're drugged!) I've always been told both. I'm "behind" and I am "bright." Well, you know, that can be true. A bright person can be "behind." But who am I behind? And, remind me again why I want to compare myself to a school-goer? I've never taken a day of algebra in my life, so if you ever want to feel "ahead" just throw an equation at me! If I were you, I'd get another big bowl of rice krispies (the kind with the strawberries in them) and try to forget the two words: "academic deficiency."
Secondly, you must inform Rita that you've found her man! A jeep? A hedgehog? A perfect match! ;)
If he's in The National Guard, why doesn't he have housing?
Where did you meet this fellow anyway? I agree, you will be a great mother. Forget advanced math. You'll never need it to do what you want to do (that is, unless you have a LOT of kids, but a calculator will do for that.)
Well, you know my thoughts on the whole thing!
Everly Pleasant

Leigh said...

It sounds like your meeting with Jesse made it all worth it. :) I hope you are doing great! :)

Leigh