Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thoughts on College, Part Two

Or, "Everly, you took the words right outta my mouth!" :)

Often when I speak of not wanting to do anything “visible” with my life, instead finding greatness in serving God and bringing up the next generation, my mother insists that isn’t the problem she has. However, she did once blurt out during a discussion, “What if my life purpose is to have you so you can do something great? What am I supposed to do then?” Even if it’s not a conscious realization, I believe my mother feels inadequate in her own accomplishments and wants to live vicariously through me. If that is the case, no amount of interviews, acclaim, or attention on my part will ever satisfy her need to be appreciated. Only the deep gratitude of my stepfather, myself, and the people she works with and for will provide her with that.

What I don’t think she understands is that I do want to do something great. I want to do the greatest thing of all. I want to have children who will have children who will have children, and by doing so I will have far more influence than just writing a bestseller or being a successful doctor or lawyer. I can change the world, not through my own meager actions, but by having an army of descendants who hold to my convictions. I can be the “mother of thousands,” and my children and theirs will “possess the gates of those that hate them.”

But even if I could convince her of these things, there is still the “What If” factor that must be addressed. After all, we live in a society consumed by the fear of what-ifs. What if the stock market crashes? What if Iran attacks? What if the new President is assassinated? What if there’s a global epidemic of Avian Flu?

What if I can’t pay off my mortgage? What if gas goes any higher? What if I get in an accident on the way to work? What if I forget to take my medication?
But what if my house should catch on fire? Should I train now to be a firefighter? What if I am ever taken to court? Should I go to law school now, just in case?

And, the most relevant to this situation, “What if my husband dies?”

What if I spend my whole life preparing to be a wife and mother, have upwards of five children, and suddenly our provider dies? What can I do then?

Of course, just because we’re a two-income family doesn’t mean that we’ll be safe if one of us dies. Look at my own family. If Mom or Jay died, what would we do? We would have to drastically adjust our lifestyle, because we would no longer be able to afford our current one. So, what if my husband died?

We would have to adjust our lifestyle.

If I spend my single and married years living frugally, saving money, keeping out of debt, and making extra money from cottage industry and writing, however, the loss of my husband isn’t nearly as scary. It might even be called less frightening than losing a husband in a two-income family bound by all sorts of debt.

We live in a world where we’re promised if we only shell out a few thousand dollars to earn a magical piece of paper, everything will fall into place and be perfect.

Plus, my mother even says she thinks I could make a living as a writer. I write well now, everyone says so. What will getting a degree do to help me finish and publish my first book? An English degree will teach me how to analyze all the mystery and romance out of classic novels in impeccable formatting, but can it teach me to write one?

I’m between a rock and a hard place. I belong under my parents’ roof, and I am commanded to honor and obey them as long as I am here. I disagree greatly with their desires for the rest of my life, but nothing can be done. They desire me to attend college, and so I will.

It’s less the issue of having to go to college, really. It’s far more about the fact that, on principle, we have these disagreements. They’re small potatoes now. But when I do marry and begin to have their grandchildren? When my daycare-sized gaggle of little ones and I spend a “school day” grocery shopping?

What will they think of me then?

3 comments:

Everly Pleasant said...

Ah!
I am honored by the subtitle, Dear.
Yes, the main point I see in this article is that your desire IS to do a great thing. When people say that they don't want you to aspire to be homemaker, they're oftentimes saying that they don't want you to give up on life, fail, stoop to meager goals as opposed to "reaching for the stars." But, watching my mother; a die-hard stay-at-home-mother/wife; I know, firsthand, that there is nothing but reaching, straining, trying, working...everything but stooping. It is truly a great thing. More so than, well, any other accomplishment I know of. Now, I don't want to be the girl who convinced everyone to stray away from degrees and then have you all turn out to be surprised and helpless when you find yourselves in financial trouble, but it sounds to me like you are quite "atop of things" and won't be left shocked, floundering around in the real world, learning to write checks and use a bank when you only know how to bake bread and braid your nine little lassies' hair.
Phew! That was a long sentence.
Ha, funny. My parents are listening to "Another Brick in the wall" by Pink Floyd right now. If you know that song, you'll get the joke.
You are in a hard place and because of that, I pray for you.
But, let us not forget Joseph, tossed into a pit, sold to slave-traders by his family whom he loves. What happened to him? He becomes the man in charge of Egypt, leads a very successful life, saves many, many people of starvation and then makes amends with his family (the very ones who tried to destroy him.) College very well may be that pit for you. I hope that you go through less hardships but end up with more happiness than even Joseph!
Everly

Everly Pleasant said...

P.S.
I just happened upon your article on LAF. It was superb! It was a little tough to read, heavy, but wonderful. What a story you have to tell!
Congratulations on your publication. Once again, you're so brave!
Everly

tarynkay said...

I just read this and I had to respond. This is going to be a very long comment, so I apologize in advance. I have been blissfully married for 7 1/2 years now. I did go to college, and had both bad experiences and good ones, so this is the place I am speaking from. First, congratulations on knowing what you want to do with your life! That is fantastic. Homemaking and children-raising are good and noble goals. I am so glad to see that you are honoring your parents by going to college, even though you don't want to. It's the "even-though-you-don't-want-to" bit that I want to talk to you about. You are absolutely right that college is full of sweaty heathens and Marxists and what have you. But there is a lot of value there, too. You say that you are deficient in homemaking skills- have you considered getting a degree in Home Ec? These are still available in many places. They are now mostly geared towards future professionals rather than future homemakers, but you're a smart girl. You can make it work for you. If you don't have such a program at the school you are attending, you can still take classes in Nutrition, Food Preparation, Fabric Arts, etc. Take a class in Photography so that you can take beautiful pictures of your children. Or Interior Design so that you can have a lovely home. Yes, it is true that you could learn this all at home for free, but that's not what your parents want. You've mentioned wanting to find a husband with an entrepreneurial spirit- perhaps you could get a degree in Bookkeeping or Accounting in order to be his help meet. Or maybe you could get a Music or Dance degree so that you can entertain him in the evenings. Take Bible classes if you can, and learn better how to spiritually nourish your family. Everybody can stand to read more Bible. And yes, I completely agree that you are competent to teach your children, but there is probably some area of knowledge that you lack in, be it Foreign Languages, or Maths, or History. You mention writing as a possible income source. Consider getting a degree in Creative Writing- or at least taking a class. These classes are workshops in which everyone writes and shares their work. This isn't like getting an English degree- you aren't analyzing the works of others. You are good at writing, but all writers must constantly work to improve themselves.
My point here is that while it's great that you want to obey your parents, this experience doesn't have to be a painful sacrifice. You can seek out Godly friends at college. You can befriend older students. Or you can keep your time there to a minimum and make the best of it.
Finally, you ask about what will happen when your parents disagree with how you want to raise your children. They may do this. They may do this quite vocally. But when you have children, you will be under the authority of your husband. This is one of the many great things about being married- you don't have to fight that battle anymore. They complain, you just say, "Sorry, this is what my husband and I have decided."
So- while there is nothing wrong in NOT getting a degree, a la Everly P, there is also nothing wrong with getting one if that's what your parents want for you. And it does not have to be a miserable experience.