Monday, December 1, 2008

What We Aim For

I asked Mom how I looked this morning, in my long black skirt and pink, lace-trimmed shirt.

"Nice," she said with a rather lackluster demeanor that betrayed the fact she wished I was in jeans* and one of my "reimagined" band shirts. (read: ripped up and re-sewn.)

She turned to put her earrings on, looked me over again in the mirror, and said, in a rather funny British accent, "Quite modest."

I just grinned. Modest, after all, is what we aim for.

(* I have nothing against pants as a modest option for girls, it's a matter of personal opinion and conviction to me. But I myself simply cannot stand to wear pants! I haven't found a comfortable pair in years, even at plus sized stores.)

1 comment:

Everly Pleasant said...

Yup, no matter what you wear, someone will see you as overly modest and someone will see as immodest. As you said, it is a personal decision.
E