Thursday, March 6, 2008

Update on the Dancing

After much consideration, I've decided to stop dancing publicly. I have one prior committment tomorrow that I have to honor, but after that, no more.

It's been a tough decision, but I feel it is the best one for me. A dance designed around the natural movements of the female body can't help but be provocative and sensual, and therefore belongs where all other things of a provocative and sensual nature belong; in private. I don't think this is necessarily the case with all dances; with the right costumes most dancing can be nothing but beautiful. It's the nature of bellydance that makes it an issue.

In its original cultural context, men did not watch women dance, unless the women were also prostitutes as well as dancers. Even today, there are certain things you just don't do, such as place your hands on your hips, as it constitutes an offer. Mrs. Clitheroe made an excellent point that sometimes fabric isn't enough, and she's right. It doesn't matter how many skirts and belts I wear, I'm still moving my hips. A lot.

I had already reached the conclusion that I would stop dancing publicly when I married, but then it occured to me; even though we haven't met yet, part of me still belongs to my future husband, wherever he may be (Lord willing!). I keep that part of me safe for him in so many other ways; there's not a reason in the world why I should let my guard down for this.

I will continue to dance in class with the other ladies. And when the time comes, I will have a skill in which my husband and I can both take pleasure, far from prying eyes.

5 comments:

Everly Pleasant said...

Bravo!
I am proud of you. I feel certain that you made the right decision, for the holy spirit doesn't convict you of imaginary things. Though I still believe that dancing in general is not always wrong, public belly dancing (of which I know very little) can be different. You made a very honorable choice. I hope you continue to enjoy your classes though and don't regret your decision, because I think it was right.
Everly

LizzieD said...

Wow! when I read this it echoed a lot of the thoughts that I'd had on this matter - I do think you are a very discerning young woman, and I pray that you continue to walk in the Truth in this way. You are so right about keeping yourself for your future husband, and it was something I was going to add, that you can always dance for him on your wedding night!!!(and it will feel SO right!)
So few girls these days realise that when they flaunt themselves before men, or even give themselves to someone before they are married, they are depriving their future husband of something that is his by God-given right. (The same goes for young men too, but I think because of the nature of a woman's deep down yearning to be loved and protected by one soul mate - the damage to her is greater, and harder to recover from).

(By the way, it was lovely to see myself being called Mrs Clitheroe - what a wonderfully polite young woman you are) but that is my blog name, taken from St Margaret Clitheroe (I have a post about her, a wonderful wife and mother, one to pray to for a husband, I'm sure), she is my confirmation saint, so you can call me "Maggie" in future!!!!
Every Blessing.

Everly Pleasant said...

P.S.
I am honored to be on your link list! :)
Everly

Lydia said...

Maggie - Oh! It just clicked in my brain when you said that. 'Maggie' it is, then. ;)

Everly: Don't mention it! your blog is delightful.

Thank you both for being so supportful. I greatly appreciate it.

Leigh said...

Wow, Lydia! Good for you! I have been thinking more and more about modesty lately and you really jump started my thoughts on it again.

Leigh