Saturday, November 15, 2008

Trying Not to Cry

When I briefly mentioned the desire to be a stay-at-home Mom to my mother this morning...

"Children need to go to school."

"So what? Are you just not going to use your own God-given gifts? What if my purpose in life was to have you, so you could share your talents. What happens if you don't?"

"You only get involvement in a child's life for about 13 years. After that, they don't want to be the center of your attention. What about the other 60+ years of your life when you don't have kids? What are you going to do then?"

"You want to know what I think? I think you're afraid of being out in the world. It just feels like the safe path, to have someone else out in the world for you and taking care of you."

"It's copping-out."

Culminating in an angry, resigned,

"It's your life, do whatever the *beep* you want with it."

2 comments:

Everly Pleasant said...

Lydia,
I cannot speak against your parents, but I do want to say that a lot of other girls are experiencing the same struggles. A very dear friend of mine, for example.
It isn't copping out. In your situation, staying at home would be the most courageous thing you could do. I was blessed to be raised by a stay-at-home-mother who chose to stay at home and encourages my own hopes to do so. Let me tell you, I am past 13 and I don't feel like tossing my mom out the window!
Once again, you should respect your parents and listen to their points of view, but from me, I have to be frank with you. I believe in mothers staying at home and I believe that it is the best thing for a child. I don't believe that children need to go to school. I believe that children need not to. Your purpose, your talents, could be raising children and home making. I certainly believe that that is my calling.
I don't think it is copping out. As a matter of fact, I've watched my mom and I KNOW it isn't copping out."
Everly

Anonymous said...

Hi! I went to private school, public school, and homeschool. The one where I learned the most and grew the most, and became closest to God,was when I was homeschooled. it is possible to learn what you need in homeschooling to go to college or not to go to college. My parents didn't want to homeschool me in high school,so I went to public school.Junior and senior year I was homeschoooled. Let me tell you to encourage you that I think teaching your children is a great thing, and that if that is what God has for you, then that is what you should do. My mom is glad she did, and I am glad as well.